Monday 28 February 2011

Vinterferie

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine

This past week, week 8, was winter break. I have two things to say about this sentence. First, it bugs me how they count in weeks here. Whenever I ask when something is, the answer is always given to me in weeks. As in: “When is spring break?” “Week 15.” Like, that means nothing me to me. Do they expect me to get out my calendar and manually count out 15 weeks to find the date? And secondly, I love how many school breaks we get here. Fall break, Christmas break, Winter break, Spring break, and of course Summer break. Canada should take some lessons.

My break actually started a week early because I got a wicked bad cold or something and felt so gross and Europeans don’t have strong over the counter cold and flu medication like we have in Canada, so my body actually had to *gasp* fight it on it’s own.

February 19th my host family took me skiing in Sweden! In Canada I ski at least once a week, so going almost the entire winter without skiing has been wicked hard. I’ve pretty much told anyone who will listen how badly I wanted to go skiing, so I guess my host family got tired of my begging and they finally took me! It was so amazing, I can’t even describe it. It’s amazing how some things feel exactly the same no matter where you are. The hill was very small, but it didn’t matter. Just being on skies made me so happy. Even though it’s been almost 9 months since the last time I’d skied, it felt like it had been only yesterday and I felt like I was back home. Being back on skies was just the pick-me-up I needed, and it put me in such a good mood.

(Me and my host sister, Carina)

Monday through Saturday I was with my second family at their summer house. It was really nice to spend the week with them because my time with them was really cut short, so it’s nice that I got another chance to be with them. And boy did we keep busy the whole week! We went to a reptile zoo where I got to hold a baby crocodile and a huge snake. The crocodile was cute, but the snake...not so much. I didn’t freak out though, so I’m proud.

We also went to the ocean and walked along the beach. I love living so close to the ocean, and even though it’s really cold, it was still really beautiful! We did a lot more over the week, but those were kind of the highlights. We also went to this restaurant to watch some soccer game, but Maria and I got a bit bored so we just got ice cream instead. I guess I’ll never be a big sports fan.

(Me and Maria)

I guess I just don’t have much to say at the moment. I’m feeling pretty...content. Well actually, I’m feeling really tired. I got up this morning at 7 to skype with my mom, but I only lasted about 3 minutes before falling back asleep. I should probably practice getting up early because when I move families I will have to be on the train by 7.12, which means my ass has to be on my bike seat by no later than 7.03. Yeah. We’ll see how that goes...

I have a whole bunch of ideas for blogs, so hopefully March will be a very blog filled month.

Kærlighed fra Danmark!

Andrea


3 comments:

  1. A really nice content sounding blog. So glad you add pictures so we can put faces to the names of your host family and friends. Look forward to all your future blogs.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, march better be a blog filled month from you! I get sad when I see the end of your posts :(

    I know exactly what you mean with the "Uke whatever"...it means nothing to me!

    skiing sounds great :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skiing in Sweden!! Awesome place for it! Where in Sweden were you skiing? XD

    SOunds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete